The Staff Accountant will focus on providing support to the Controller and the accounting department in the production of accurate and timely financial reports and payroll processing for St. Matthew’s House. This position will impact a rapidly growing organization and offers career development opportunities for the right candidate.
STAFF ACCOUNTANT TASKS
- Perform daily bank reconciliations for all bank accounts and prepare weekly cash report and cash projections.
- Maintain detailed financial records using spreadsheets to support financial reporting and tax compliance.
- Collaborate with accounts payable and receivable personnel to manage invoices and payments. Ensure that expenses and received amounts are recognized in the financial statements and cash flow reports.
- Prepare general ledger entries by maintaining records and files and reconciling accounts.
- Assist in special projects as directed by the Controller.
PAYROLL PROCESSING TASKS
- Perform daily payroll department operations.
- Process bi-weekly payroll and record all payroll related journal entries.
- Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely.
- Prepare the bi-weekly peer mentor and intern A/P checks with the proper approvals.
- Prepare and process the monthly insurance billings and reconcile them to the monthly employee payroll insurance deductions.
- Understand proper taxation of employer paid benefits.
- Work closely with HR with payroll, insurance billings issues, and third-party administration.
- Process correct garnishment calculations and compliance.
- Perform compliances for unclaimed property payroll checks.
- Perform year-end payroll processing (W-2s).
- Monitor and reconcile the HRA & FSA accounts and transferring funds when necessary.
- Prepare Census Reports to managers.
- Assists with yearly budget and audit.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
Experience: 2-5+ years in an accounting field
Proficient in QuickBooks, MS Excel and Word, as well as Not-for-profit experience.
Experience in Paylocity payroll software preferred.
Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Strong mathematical, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
Strong work ethic and team player.