Responsible for all food production used for Missions, Outreach, Catering, Contract Meal Services and other outlets. Develops menus, food purchase specifications and recipes. Supervises staff and volunteers along with overseeing culinary training. Develops and monitors food and labor budget for the department. Maintains highest professional food quality and sanitation standards. St. Matthew’s House is a faith-based 501(c)(3) charitable organization that exists to transform lives in a spiritual environment that is both compassionate and disciplined.
· Works with Catering Chef to plan menus for all food outlets.
· Schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks, volunteers and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is safe, clean, appealing, and within budget
· Approves the requisition of products and other necessary food supplies.
· Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
· Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste.
· Safeguards all food preparation employees and volunteers by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention.
· Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
· Works with Director to prepare necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met.
· Conducts meetings to keep culinary staff informed and educated.
· Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
· Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
· Interacts with mission leadership to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of clients and guests.
· Evaluates products to assure that quality, price and related goods are consistently met.
· Develops procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment and terminology.
· Works with Kitchen Manger to maintain a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
· Provides training, curriculum and professional development opportunities for “Catalyst Kitchen” clients and all kitchen staff and volunteers.
· Works interpersonally with Justin’s Place Recovery Program clients in the “Catalyst Kitchen” Job training program to provide and ensure that excellent training is being implemented and reinforced.
· Teaches and supervises food philosophy and technique classes in a classroom setting for the “Catalyst Kitchen” clients.
· Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
· Perform other duties as directed.
· Provide, develop, train, and maintain a professional culinary staff.
· Ensure all services to clients, both internal and external, are conducted in a highly professional and efficient manner.
· Ensure a safe working environment and attitude on the part of all employees in areas of responsibility.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Ability to interact positively with supervisor, management, coworkers, clients, and the public to promote a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
· Ability to produce a high volume of work in a timely manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality.